Kathy’s Pies is a family-run baking company that’s been around for more than 27 years. In the beginning, their clientele base comprised mostly of restaurants in the area and a handful of local vendors. Relying on word-of-mouth referrals, the business grew. Today Kathy’s Pies services 47 wholesale accounts and operates a large retail store in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
This project was developed by Kiley Murphy while working at Running Robots. Project Led & Maintained by RR.
Like any modern retail business, Kathy’s Pies uses an eCommerce website to sell their products. They’d run into several issues with their previous web designer who built their site who had made it difficult for web content to be up to date at all times. This had a negative effect on sales. When Kathy’s Pies contacted us for a consultation, we were aware of the following problems:
- Kathy’s Pies couldn’t make changes to their site themselves. They were totally reliant on their designer, who was frequently unresponsive. This was a big problem considering the constant updates necessary to Kathy’s Pies’ prices and specials.
- Updates took days on end to implement, causing discrepancies between their inventory and what was listed as available.
- They were charged a fee for every single edit.
- Their catalog was static and didn’t allow customers to filter products.
- The overall web design was old-fashioned.
Kathy’s Pies already had a strong brand identity and we wanted to showcase this in their new site by featuring amazing product photos. Our designers and developers worked together to coordinate an online product catalog that was eye-catching, yet, had the needed UI & UX to make the pages flow functionally.
We quickly learned that the biggest problem with their old website was that it didn’t allow customers to easily search for what they were looking for and that it didn’t showcase products so that customers could discover new things. We built a new custom catalog that allowed customers to filter products by type (pies, cakes, pastries, etc.), size, and price.
Bringing It All Together
At project completion, our team had implemented the following changes:
- Fully responsive website design
- We added a feature to showcase seasonal items and specials.
- Customers could easily filter products and find what they were looking for faster.
- We showed Kathy’s Pies how to make updates to their site.
- We continuously provide security updates to prevent malware and hacking.